Any advice for preparing for Security+?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Bob Singer, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Bob Singer

Bob Singer Member

Darril Gibson's book seems good. CBT Nuggets Video is recommended by some. Professor Messer's Video is recommended by some.

Anything else that stands out or is everything about the same?

2. stickerbush1970

I took SYO-301 6 years ago, I memorized the questions and answer so well that when I went in and took the test, i read the answers before the question and came out like a champ. SY0-401 is a totally different animal and have no help for you. Best of luck, have a look at

Dear visitor, you need to Register or Login to view links on Certify Chat.

3. ziggyp

ziggyp Member

Bob - I just recertified a few weeks back and used the resources you mentioned and passed pretty easily. Mainly focused on knowing Darryl's book inside and out and watched the CBT Nuggets on 2x speed to reset my eyes from reading. I also watched a few Messer videos to fill in gaps.

I would highly recommend getting Messers Study Guide pdf too. There is a lot of information and those +30 pages are nice to have to keep everything fresh.

Also, download and print off the Security+ Exam objectives. That is what I used to make sure I knew everything that was going to be on the test

Good luck mate. Its not to tough if you go in knowing what all the bullet points are on the exam objectives.

4. Bob Singer

Bob Singer Member

Ziggy,

Thank you so much for that info. What sims did you run into? That's the part that's got me a little rattled. People keep talking about a tablet attack sim and no one knows how to solve it, even after getting home and researching it on the internet, apparently!

I'm doing the Gibson book, his labs, and the CBT Nuggets as well.

5. A Samuel

A Samuel Member

Hello

#5 A Samuel, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  6. stickerbush1970

I would not rely on dumps for this test, you are going to have to know your shit for this exam. Read Gibson book, 45 days out from when you want to take the test start reading a chapter and a half a week, do study questions from his site. Familiarize yourself with ports and his questions. Learn the concept not the questions.

7. stickerbush1970

From what I have been hearing about the exam is there are only 2 - 3 sims on it, the rest are questions. SY0-501 comes out in a couple of months, so I doubt they are adding new questions to SY0-401.

8. HighPitch

HighPitch Member

I had 4, possibly 5 sims on the test. Right at the start, too. Nice way to demoralize you..lol

Mba likes this.
  9. Mba

Mba Member

I had 4, possibly 5 sims on the test. Right at the start, too. Nice way to demoralize you..lol
    Lol "Demoralize".

Do you by chance remember the context of those sims ?

• HighPitch

HighPitch Member

One had a reasonably detailed network and a bunch of elements you had to add to it, like antiviruses, ACLs, end-user PCs etc. I don't know if I got it right but it made sense. You can kinda work it out based upon the number of each thing. For example, if you get 2 switches, they each need to get the thing in question. It's fuzzy now, but when you see it you will know what I mean.
    To be honest I can't remember any of the other ones.

• Ethan Brown

Ethan Brown Member

It’s suggested that candidates taking this exam possess a minimum of 2 years’ experience in IT administration with a focus on security and also have a Network+ certification

for it is a prerequisite.
    Also, check this for detailed tips:

• Jack Smith

Jack Smith Member

I do not remember that much about this exam because I passed it few years ago, but you need 2 years experience if you want to perform better. Google must have better answers for your questions regarding your queries.

• A Samuel

A Samuel Member

The exam codes for Security+ are SYO-401 and SYO-501 with launch dates of May 1, 2014, and October 2017 respectively. It comprises of operation and compliance security; vulnerabilities and threats; application, host and data security; identity management; access control; and cryptography. The exam consists of a maximum of 90 questions with a given duration of 90 minutes and the passing score is 750 on a scale of 100-900.

It’s suggested that candidates taking this exam possess a minimum of 2 years’ experience in IT administration with a focus on security and also have a Network+ certification

for it is a prerequisite.

Find more detail

• HighPitch

HighPitch Member

I don't know why they suggest 2 years in IT with security admin focus, seems a touch OTT to me.

• stickerbush1970

Anyone that is taking the new exam is screwed unless they really know what they are doing, know how to read through Comptias BS questions or study their ass off. This test is no longer a brain dump and go take it.

• HighPitch

HighPitch Member

It's not quite that hard tbh. Dumps for CompTIA have been no use to man nor beast for ages. I just watched the Messer videos a few times, and had a rudimentary knowledge from work.

I should also add that the objectives are a good indicator of your readiness. They detail everything you might get questioned on.

• DapperDanBeen

DapperDanBeen Member

jeesh dumps are hard to find I see

I do have the sims if anybody is interested

• Tippmann

Tippmann Member

Hello

Could you please share the sim please?

Thank you!

• Michael Bernardo

Hi guys, I took SY0-501 yesterday and failed. The dumps I got did not work, almost all questions were new.

• HighPitch

HighPitch Member

CompTIA, unlike other vendors like Cisco or Microsoft, actually change their tests. As a result, people need to know the material as opposed to learning the answers. All I can suggest is you go over the objectives and make sure you understand them all for the most part.

I used Professor Messer's videos and some experience from work to get me through.